Interview preparation is about much more that what you say. Many jobseekers practice interview questions for days before an interview. Ok this plays an important part but too often interviewee fail at interview for other reasons. Good verbal communications will help your cause BUT good non-verbal communications will often secure the deal.
To back this point I noted the results of a survey carried out by Peninsula – a UK law firm. This survey researched employers in the UK and identified the most popular reasons why they rejected applicants who had applied for positions at their company. I have outlined the top 10 reasons below.
1. 26% rejected because of improper dress.
2. 19% rejected because of lateness
3. 15% rejected as they were too money focused.
4. 11% rejected because they were cynical towards colleagues past or future.
5. 9% rejected because of poor handshake.
6. 7% rejected because they lacked direction and career ambition.
7. 5% rejected because of poor eye contact.
8. 4% rejected because of lack of research into the company.